Wednesday, 12 March 2014

Vertex Painting, Edit Normals, Docks and More!


Woohoo, I finally started vertex painting this week, and it's a lot easier than I thought it would be. Literally after the slightly confusing set up it was smooth sailing from there on out. I did have to add some loops here and there to allow the blending to look more natural, but at the end of the day, tris are a lot less expensive than texture sheets so it's worth it.


Luckily my texture planning paid off, so I could do things like giving the impression that the wall had stopped being painted nearer the water. I have run into some trouble, seen below. As I'm using desaturated textures for my paint texture, and colouring it in CryEngine, it means when I use a blend layer with concrete, the concrete also takes the colour of the material. I want the concrete to retain its original colour as this looks far more authentic (as painted concrete with no visible paint strokes makes no sense next to a texture with paint strokes). The only other solution I can think of is to ditch the CryEngine colouring for vertex painted objects, and have a few base colour texture sheets instead, but this is way more expensive. This is completely viable, especially for an FMP, but I'm still hoping for someone to present a workaround that'll allow me to stay cost efficient as it's literally the difference between a 3mb texture or a 1kb material file for each object. I've posted it up on DMUGA Technical and the Crydev forums so all I can do is wait for now and focus on other things.

  

Focusing on other things mean I did get my modular docks done in about two days. While I reckon the boats will take a lot longer, it was nice to get these out the way so fast. They were too small (first shot below) but a quick up-scale fixed that. I also think the specular and gloss maps came out really nice, giving off a damp and grungey look.




I can't really stress how useful peer feedback has been throughout this whole project. Constantly posting up my work means people can keep suggesting new things, like adding a slight chamfer to hard edges to stop them from being a completely sharp change in faces.





It's also about time I start putting together my level properly, so with the buildings I have I started to build on and around the whitebox. I can alter the textures on each building at a later date, but for now I'm just getting the final bases in before I start adding things like windows, pipes, signs and the like.

No comments:

Post a Comment